Individual Funding Requests

Crawley and Horsham and Mid Sussex Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) receive money from the Government to pay for healthcare for everyone registered with a GP in our area. Each CCG seeks to get best value for this money by spending it wisely on your behalf.

Demand for healthcare is growing, but there is only a set amount of money available to spend, so difficult decisions may have to be made.

The priority is paying for those medicines and treatments that are proven to work well, can demonstrate they improve people’s health and offer good value for money. As a result there are some treatments we do not normally pay for.

The leaflet 'Individual Funding Requests – Information for Patients' (downloadable below) explains how your doctor or specialist can ask, on your behalf, for a treatment that we would not normally fund.

The IFR Team is compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and confidentiality is strictly maintained.

This process is managed on behalf of Crawley and Horsham and Mid Sussex CCGs by North East London Commissioning Support Unit (NEL CSU).

For more information, please contact:

Wharf House
Medway Wharf Road
Tonbridge TN9 1RE

Tel: 01732 375214 / 5256

Click on the links below for further information:

Making an IFR request - Clinician information

IFRs must come from the patient's requesting Clinician (GP, NHS Consultant or an equivalent autonomous practitioner provided she/he will be responsible for administering the treatment) via this secure portal (online form):

Crawley CCG and Horsham and Mid Sussex CCG:

NEL CSU manage Individual Funding Requests (IFRs) on behalf of Crawley and Horsham & Mid Sussex CCGs. We provide a one-stop shop IFR service that is first class, responsive and flexible. We use an online application form, which has many advantages, including:

  • A bespoke system that captures key data
  • Once you register, your details are maintained for future applications
  • You receive real-time email updates on the status of each application
  • Two registered colleagues can share completion of an application.

This secure site can be found at You may wish to save this address in your browser.

If you are the clinician registering to make an application or seeking technical help from Blueteq there is a dedicated email address:


European cross-border healthcare for patients

There are two funding routes that patients may be able to access when applying for cross border healthcare; the ‘S2’ (formerly ‘E112’) route and the ‘EU Directive’ route .  NHS England is responsible for administering both.  For more information, visit the NHS Choices website

For enquiries on local entitlement:

Wharf House
Medway Wharf Road
Tonbridge TN9 1RE
Tel:    01732 375214  / 375256

Please see NHS Crawley CCG / NHS Horsham and Mid Sussex CCG List of Clinical Policies for entitlement to common treatments: Clinical Policies

More information

Further information on how we make decisions, policies and procedures is available on the Publications page of the website. 

Find out more

Looking for more information on how we make financial decisions? Visit our finances page.